Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Yours Truly

Alert! Alert! Although Monday's blog post stated that we have FIVE interns here at Playhouse at Park, we actually have SIX! Our newest intern is David Ciano, a theatre student at the University of Connecticut. In the two days that he's worked here, he's already been an asset to the intern team by helping Dan put up posters all over town (and bringing a fan for the stiflingly hot office!). I'm sure you're all really excited to hear about David! He's already left for the day, however, and won't be available for an interview until tomorrow. So until then, you'll have to read about yours truly, the literary intern. As weird as it was to play the interviewer and the interviewee at the same time, I sucked up the discomfort and got to know myself for the good of the Playhouse. If you're going to meet the interns, you're going to meet ALL of them.

Literary Intern

Name: Naomi Bilmes

Age: 19

Position (what do I do here?): As the literary intern, my primary job is to read and evaluate new plays that writers and agencies send us. Working with Artistic Director Sean Harris, I have recently started the Readers Circle, a group that meets monthly to discuss and critique the submissions that we receive. I also write letters to agents and playwrights, play around on this blog, and have recently learned how to run the box office! I also hone my phone-answering skills when no one else is in the office and I do any other odd jobs that need to be done. Highlights include vacuuming the theatre and climbing up on a ten-foot ladder to change the wording in the marquee on the front of the Playhouse. As you know, I often work in the lobby between the piano and the coat rack, but depending on the weather, the lighting, and the position of Jupiter, my workspace of choice may be the box office, the foyer, the patio, or the floor.

School: I just finished my first year at the University of Maryland. Go Terps!

Major: Right now I am a declared English major with a plan to double major in psychology as well.

How did I hear about this job? Through Sean Harris, of course! After slaving over countless applications for summer jobs (including one for Hartford Stage, gasp!) Mr. Harris approached me and asked if I wanted to intern at his new theatre. How could I turn down my acting teacher of four years? I almost immediately said yes, even though it meant filling out yet another application and writing yet another cover letter. But this time I knew my labors would be rewarded.

What do I like best about working here? Learning about all the inner workings of the theatre. Honestly, I can’t post most of them here, but let me just say that there is way more to running a theatre than just hiring actors and a director. I also really enjoy seeing the actors come in and out of the theatre and snatching small opportunities to talk to them and learn a little bit about the real lives of people in the business. And I love love love this blog. It gives me the opportunity to be creative and write – one of my ultimate goals in life.

Favorite play or musical: Wow, this question is hard. My answer can only be based on plays I have seen, and I might’ve seen a bad performance of a good play or a good performance of a bad play, so how can I really judge whether the play itself is good or bad? And what about movie adaptations? For now, though, I’ll have to go with The Glass Menagerie, by Tennessee Williams.

Really good theatre experience: Performing in The Laramie Project and The Diary of Anne Frank during my senior year at Hall High School. I also really enjoyed writing one-acts and seeing them performed by my classmates.

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: Chocolate Peanut Butter, hands down. And I’ve gotten into cones recently. And I really like frozen yogurt (chocolate vanilla swirl).

Favorite Mode of Transportation: Bicycle! I ride it to work almost every day.

Favorite West Hartford Locale or Activity: The Noah Webster Library. (I’m the literary intern, remember?)

And here's some more photos from around the PoP office:



From top to bottom: 1. The blogger 2. Dan behind bars! 3. Volunteer Hillary Ekwall and House Manager/stop/time dancer Carolyn Cumming


Top: "When would you like those tickets for?"
Bottom: Deana, casting intern, hard at work


The blogger and her bike

No comments:

Post a Comment