Tuesday, June 15, 2010

And now a word from Jeff Scot Carey...

So we've heard from the female lead, we've heard from the man behind the music, and now it's time to hear what our male lead has to say. Jeff Scot Carey plays Jamie Wellerstein, a writer who is apathetic about his religion but energetic about his romance with Cathy. Judging from Jeff's extensive interview responses, I'd say he genuinely has a great deal of energy himself. So read on, because this actor has a lot of interesting things to say!

Naomi: What made you want to audition for The Last Five Years?

Jeff: Well, I first saw the show Off-Broadway a number of years ago, and I remember being moved by it. It was innovative and stylistic musically, and the story was very relatable to me. I never saw or even listened to it again until I got the call to come audition for this production, but I always knew it would be a role I would be interested in exploring. So when it finally came up I was intrigued.

Naomi: What has the rehearsal process been like?

Jeff: We dove right in, and it’s been kind of a whirlwind up to this point. Obviously, we had to hammer out all of the technical aspects first (the music with Colin and the staging with Kyle) but the most involved aspect we had to figure out early was the timeline for the story. The two sides of the story are told in separate planes from each other. I think my process has been a little bit easier than Carey’s because Jamie’s story progresses sequentially whereas Cathy’s progresses in reverse. It’s a nice little device that Jason Robert Brown uses in the piece. We actually had a rehearsal where, as an exercise, we did the show sequentially [in chronological order] for both characters and it was amazing. It was so telling and sweet at the early part of their relationship, but extremely devastating later when the relationship ultimately fails. That day when we finished we were all a wreck, and Colin (our Music Director and Pianist) brilliantly quipped, “Well now we know why Jason Robert Brown decided to set the timelines in opposition. It’s way too depressing this way.”

frmReadMail_Attachment.aspx.jpg


Naomi: Do you have a favorite song or a favorite moment in the play?

Jeff: It’s hard to pick favorites because the whole show is really a joy to do. If I had to single out some moments, however, I’d pick the songs Miracle Would Happen and If I Didn’t Believe in You. But the best part for me is when Carey and I sing together in The Next Ten Minutes, because it’s the one moment in the show where the two timelines cross and we are actually in a scene together… in the same moment. And she’s so great to work with. I miss her the rest of the time.

Naomi: How did you first become interested in theatre?

Jeff: I didn’t get into theatre at all until college. I grew up as a military kid because my dad was a fighter pilot in the Air Force, and theatre wasn’t really a thing to do for some reason. I mean, I’m sure it was for some people, but I never got into it. I was intrigued by creative-writing and plays though, so naturally the idea of acting was always appealing under the surface. When I eventually heard of “Musical-Theatre” it sounded like the combination of two very cool art forms so I ended up taking a crack at it just for fun. I had discovered I could sing when I was a senior in high school, so when I got to college I was able to audition because I had started to learn how to read music and where to place things vocally. That’s where it started - out of curiosity really. I do come from a musical family - my mom and dad are both singers. In fact, I later learned that they actually met doing a musical in high school in 1967 (Carousel, I believe) and they’ve been together ever since. Is that a beautiful fairytale or what?

(Naomi: Yes, I think it's pretty beautiful.)

Naomi: From looking at your website, I can see you've done some interesting stuff in the past. Can you tell me about the short play you wrote, Storm Control, and the Nancy Ford musical you performed in called Blue Roses?

Jeff: Haha. Yes, I can tell you about that. I’ve always enjoyed writing and about five years ago I had my first play produced in New York. Later, I ended up joining the theatre company that produced it, City Attic Theatre, and their resident playwright, Melissa Gawlowski, used to get playwrights together for benefits in the city. Storm Control was a short piece that was presented as a part of a collaboration of music and spoken word called Metis. Each playwright adapted a section of Homer’s The Odyssey, and so I wrote a comedy about these strange demi-god-like beings who drive storm clouds like military vessels and are under orders from Zeus to wipe out Odysseus in the Mediterranean. When they start to question the supremacy of the orders that get passed down, things get dicey and they start to realize that Zeus is using them inappropriately.

Blue Roses is a musical adaptation of The Glass Menagerie. The playwright, Nancy, had seen me in a show called Back Home at the New York Musical Theatre festival that year and asked me to sing as one of the characters in her new piece. So I sang the part of Jim, the Gentlemen Caller: two songs and a duet. Wonderful music and directed by Albert Marre. Hopefully something will happen with it some day.


frmReadMail_Attachment.aspx.jpg

Naomi: From looking at your resume, I noticed you also play guitar and piano. Have you been able to use these skills at all in your theatre career?

Jeff: Seems like I’ve auditioned for lots of rock/folk musicals lately where I go in and play guitar and sing. In these cases, even if nothing comes of the audition, they’re fun little projects. I have been involved in numerous shows or films where I have played guitar as a part of the character, but mostly I just play for fun. There have been times in my life where I have written a lot on guitar and piano and then recorded the songs, but these days it’s pretty slow on that front. I don’t think I’ve written a song for two years, maybe more. I think I use music to center myself nowadays. It calms me.

Naomi: Do you have a favorite role out of all your past credits?

Jeff: Haha, no, not really. So hard to choose. Probably Roger in Rent, Dorian in A Picture of Dorian Gray, Huck in Big River, Tony in West Side Story, and Michael in Two Rooms. I’m sure tomorrow my answer would be different.

Naomi: What do you think of your experience in West Hartford so far?

Jeff: Beautiful and charming. And I love the history of this place. I haven’t had agreat deal of time yet to check out all of the places I want to see, but I’m looking forward to exploring West Hartford more. The Mark Twain and H.B. Stowe museums are on the list for sure. Today after rehearsal, on a whim, I drove down to Dinosaur State park, but it was closed by the time I got there. I am very curious to see what that’s about. Also, I’m kind of a big sports-junkie so I think I need to drive over to Bristol to see the ESPN Studios. Thanks for having me!

No problem, Jeff! The pleasure is all ours, especially when we listen to you sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment