Thursday, April 14, 2011

Playhouse Profile: Mollie Cook

When you attend a show at Playhouse on Park, you see a lot of people working there; a house manager, box office employees, ushers and actors. What you don't see is the person working behind the scenes during the show. At Playhouse on Park that person is Wardrobe Mistress/Assistant Stage Manager Mollie Cook.

Mollie is a Senior at Hall High School who began working at the Playhouse during her junior year. She was approached by Hall High School Acting Teacher and Playhouse Artistic Director Sean Harris to fill in. Eight shows later she has become a reliable fixture backstage.

Before each show begins, Mollie is backstage doing a pre-show setting of props and costumes. Once the show begins, she positions herself at one of the prop tables with her computer which has a copy of the script and a run list of her duties which vary depending on the show. "It's either extremely chaotic or really boring." Mollie says of her duties. "During Comedy of Errors there's a lot going on. Sometimes there would be two quick changes happening at once which is extremely chaotic." She adds.

Quick changes is one of the most challenging parts of her work, especially for Comedy of Errors. " I was not present for a real time run until opening night, that was very difficult. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I had to learn the pace of it on the spot." Mollie generally joins the production the weekend before it opens and then the two weekends of the show. She also responds to the needs of the actors during the run of the show. "If they get sick backstage or they hurt themselves, I'm the person who's back there, who has to get them help."

Mollie says she's learned from all the different actors that have come through Playhouse on Park. "They all have different training and since I also perform, I get to learn from what they do on stage." Mollie appeared on stage as the Mouse's reflection in Playhouse on Park's production of "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" last October. "That was one of my favorite roles I've ever done, because it was so much fun." She has also acted, worked behind the scenes and designed costumes at Hall High School.

Mollie plans to continue acting and designing costumes as she heads off to Umass Amherst in the fall to major in BA Theater Acting. "I love live theater. I think it's a more pure form of acting because it has to be the same every night. You have to do it more than once and you can't sit there and try to get the emotion out twenty times in a row, you have to get it."

As far as just sitting and watching a show she's not involved with, Mollie admits that it's very distracting. 'Oh look there's a techie backstage that I can see, I shouldn't be able to see you.' She quips. "It's almost impossible for me to sit and just watch a show."

Mollie displays an "I get to" attitude as opposed to an "I have to" attitude. No matter what aspect of her job she is doing, even the laundry. "I think I'm the lowest of all the employees here which I take with pride, because I really do enjoy what I do. I get to do the dirty work. I get to do the laundry. I get to fix stuff."

That kind of attitude will serve her well as she ponders her future ten years down the road. At the ripe old age of twenty-eight. "I hopefully see myself graduated from college in a theater somewhere. I don't really care where. I would love to work in a small theater or be in New York."

Whatever size theater or part of the country she ends up in, one thing is for sure, her positive attitude and hard work will propel her to great success in her professional career. Just remember, you heard the name Mollie Cook here first.

1 comment: